Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Two Degrees to Bliss

This is my 100th post, and I've been wracking my brain for something worthy of a hundredth post to say. Ironically, I'm drawing a blank. After a hundred days of doing this, you'd think I'd have it down to a science. I think I'm going to have to take a lesson from my writing and not force it. When I try to force a scene, it comes off flat. I can't expect a blog would be much differently. Here's to hoping an anniversary-themed post will come to mind soon. In the meantime, back to our regularly schedule post:

It's amazing the difference two degrees can make. All day yesterday I suffered through with cold hands and so many layers on that I looked like the kid in A Christmas Story. I ended up drinking a couple of gallons of hot water (plain because of that whole teeth-staining thing, though come to think of it, I had red wine last night and never had a thought about staining my teeth). I shivered around the house and bundled the cats up in blankets where they lay (they tolerated it for longer than I thought they would). Then, finally, I thought to check the thermostat. Since it'd been kicking on the heater regularly all day, it had never occurred to me to check it before I was attempting to eat my dinner, which kept cooling off after a few bites (renuking food over and over again makes it hard to sit down and enjoy a meal).

It was set at 66 degrees in the house! I know that scientists will tell you 32 degrees is freezing, but they're wrong. Sixty-six is freezing. I cranked the heater up a whopping two degrees and like magic, the whole house was as warm as a tropical rain forest. I was even warm enough, I took off one of my sweaters!

Today the sun finally came out (it's been behind fog for the last week or so) and the house got to a crazy 70 degrees. It was like heaven. The cats and I all took turns lounging in sunbeams (me during eye breaks--them for hours at a time). Yea for heat!

No comments: