Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reading, 2008

As everyone knows, I love to read. I had the brilliant idea last year of keeping track of everything I read in 2007 to see if I read as many books as I thought I did. Plus, there's something supremely gratifying about finishing a book and getting to add it to my spreadsheet. Last year I read 52. A book for every week is pretty good.

Here are this year's reading figures:

Books read: 49
Percentages by genre:
-Paranormal Romance: 29%
-Romance: 24%
-Fantasy: 20%
-Nonfiction: 16%
-Fiction: 4%
-Young Adult and Other: 6%
New authors read: 22!
Most read in a month: 6 (in April, October, and November)
Most read by a single author: 7 (Cody gifted me with a Katie MacAlister novel in February for Valentine's Day and I promptly bought my favorite used bookstore's entire stock of her novels.)
Multiple books read by the same author: 4 (Katie MacAlister, Jacqueline Carey, Jayne Ann Krentz, and P.C. Cast--all of which I recommend)
Repeat authors from 2007: 10 (Carrie Vaughn, Charlaine Harris, Christine Feehan, Janet Evanovich, Karen Marie Moning, Laurell K. Hamilton, Lora Leigh, P.C. Cast, Rebecca Chastain--yes, I count when I've read through my own books; I was hoping to add Madison 2 to the read in 2008 list, but it'll have to be on the 2009 list--and Vicki Thompson)
Recommended new authors: Colby Hodge and Anjali Banerjee (I thought I'd have more new authors to recommend, but aside from Katie MacAlister who was a new author this year for me, these are the only two new authors who I believe will be repeat authors. However, I highly recommend all the repeat authors from 2007.)

Tomorrow: DVDs of 2008!

No comments: