Saturday, January 10, 2009

More Like I Pictured It

I watched an episode of Legend of the Seeker today, a show based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I've seen a few episodes before this (you'll recall the "Legend of the Seeker Delivers" post), but none of them were from parts of the story that I'd found particularly memorable (having read the book they're making episode from nearly fifteen years ago, so I was bound to have forgotten a scene or two). However, today we met up with a character, Denna, who I vividly remembered, in a scene I also vividly recalled.

Jessica Marais cast in the role of Denna was surprisingly close to the way I'd pictured the character (on the show she has a long, blond braid that hangs to her hips). I'd imagined her slightly more voluptuous, a little shorter (or perhaps the main character, Richard, taller), and with a rounder face, but all in all, they did a good job capturing her.

After Craig Horner not looking at all like the way I'd pictured Richard (though this was an improvement) and Bridget Regan not looking at all the way I'd picture Kahlan, Denna was a nice surprise. However, I pronounced her name as "Deena" in my head, while they pronounced it like a Bostoner might say "dinnah" instead of dinner.

The scene itself did not go at all like I remembered. It makes me want to reread the series to see if I've forgotten things or if they're making them up. Maybe if I didn't already have 25 new books on my shelf waiting to be read...

(Don't forget: Only 4 days until National Non-Dominant Hand Day!)

No comments: