Monday, May 25, 2009

Re-read-worthy Authors

I think we all have some authors that we return to at some point or another to reread. There are some people's works that have that siren call from where they sit on the shelf, reminding us of the great story, great characters, and great writing that is printed across those previously enjoyed pages. I admit, I have met a few people who never reread anything, claiming (with acknowledged truth) that there are too many new books to read to go back and reread one, no matter how good.

For the most part, I'd say I was one of those people—after all, I have four shelves devoted to books I've not yet read. Only, I've found myself too many times sitting at the foot of one of my bookcases, rereading a novel. It's never been an intentional choice. Usually it's a complete surprise to me when I look up from a novel and find myself staring at the bottom shelves of my bookcase. What started out as a fact-hunting mission or a quest of a different kind ends with me rereading half a novel, sucked back into a world I've loved.

The author's who have this kind of pull on me include: Jacqueline Carey, Robert Jordan, Katie MacAlister, Robin McKinley, Laurell K Hamilton, Regina Thomashauer, and William Goldman (specifically, The Princess Bride).

No comments: