Thursday, May 7, 2009

Big Night Out

For the first time in a LONG time, Cody and I are going to see a live performance: Forever Plaid. The show flyers boast of nonstop hilarity. I hope they're right. Even if they're not, there's nothing like a live performance.

Once, at an old job, I had the opportunity to watch a live taping of American Idol from the studio floor, standing just beyond the cameramen. It was the year that Carrie Underwood was in the pack and it was a night for the ladies to sing. Having been following the show that year, I knew everyone was good. But seeing them, hearing them, in person was incredible. There's something in a performance that doesn't translate to TV or the movie screen. Yes, you can do more things with TV and movies, but that raw human touch just doesn't come through. Not even on the live shows.

I've seen a few plays that were later made into movies, and the plays always have that special touch that the movies can't capture. I don't know if it's something I project as part of the audience, or something the actors project in person that they can't get through the screen. Maybe I'll be able to decide tonight.

No comments: