Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Fifth Choice

Yesterday I mentioned that I wrote four different new beginnings. The plan today was to go back over them, pick the best sentences, words, and ideas, and make the best one. Only last night I was inspired by nothing in particular and started a fifth beginning. I woke up today with the rest of that beginning already in my head. An hour of writing time later and I've got my new beginning! Of course it needs work (and to be typed up), but it's a start of a start. Hooray!

Today was one of those days when I realized how much I love writing and how much I love getting to work from home so that I can write more. I am incredibly thankful that I have the resources and opportunity to pursue my dream!

I also realized that it was sunny. Yeah, not a very bright (if you'll pardon the pun--or would that be anti-pun? are there anti-puns?) observation, but it was strangely startling to me. Apparently, my mental image of a full-time writer involves a lot of dark hours, which isn't the case at all. It's light and cheerful in my office, and if I got to continue to write for the rest of the day, I wouldn't even have to turn on a light to see my work. Maybe the stereotypes of authors working late nights to meet deadlines have infiltrated my mental imagery. Or reading about authors like Karen Marie Moning who get up at 4:30 in the morning to write. Perhaps I need to remind my subconscious of authors like Jude Deveraux who write from 9 to 5 (or so I believe I read somewhere). Or Janet Evanovich who has an amusing recounting of her general work day on her Web site that includes all her writing time in the daylight hours. I'm sure there're others. Maybe I'll be one of them. Or maybe I'll be posting in a year that I simply must get up at 4:30 am to get any real work done. (Hahahaha!)

No comments: