Friday, August 28, 2009

Reminder of Good Things Past

I've always gone after what I want with the innate belief that I can achieve whatever I set my mind to. My parents encouraged it. They never hampered my dreams, never denied a desire because they might have seemed impossible. And I've been very blessed to have every single one of my deepest desires come true.

When I was a little girl, no older than six or seven, I wanted a horse. By the time I was ten, I had one of my very own. When I was a teenager, I won another in a contest—and my parents let me keep her! When I was in high school, I wanted to graduate valedictorian. I did, a co-valedictorian shared with seven or so other overachievers in the largest highest-achieving class to every graduate from my school.

When I met Cody, I knew I wanted to date him. It didn't matter that he was currently seeing another woman, one who had bought him a gold promise/engagement ring. Two years later, long after that other woman had moved on, we started dating. We've been dating for nine and a half years.

I've gotten every job that I passionately wanted. I've gotten great apartments, a wonderful car that's going strong 13 years after I drove it off the car lot, and once I realized I could get free books, have added a few shelves worth of them to my collection.

Over and over again, my belief that I can do and have anything I want has been reaffirmed by the universe. I have asked, I have hoped, I have dreamed and sung made-up songs and written fantastical stories of perfect futures and drawn things I've desired, and again and again I've received. I am abundantly grateful and thank the universe every day for all that I have, and it is this reaffirmed faith, this trust that the universe provides me with what I want, that makes me positive that my novel will sell, it will be fabulously well received, and it will launch my career as one of the top fantasy authors of all time.

Now I just need to start sending out my query letter.

No comments: