Monday, August 3, 2009

My First Romance

Of course, you know I mean my first romance author, right? NON is at it again, with an interview this week with debut author Tessa Dare and a contest for her historical romance, so I posed a question to the followers to comment which author was their first historical romance author...which, of course, made me think back to which was my first, too.

For me, my first historical romance and my first romance author in general were one and the same: Jude Deveraux. (Who shockingly doesn't have a web page that I could find!) I discovered romances rather late in life (if my friends are anything to go by)—my junior year of high school. Before then, I couldn't tear myself away from the fantasy novels I love. On the recommendation of my friends, I started with the cute romance The Duchess.

I was instantly in love with romances, and while I continued to read fantasy more often than not, in the next ten years, I read my way through the entire works of Julie Garwood, Judith McNaught, Julia Quinn, Jayne Ann Krentz (and her pseudonyms Jayne Castle and Amanda Quick), and Sandra Brown, just to name a few.

I no longer read most of those authors (and they're the ones who are now sitting in bags waiting to be taken to the used book store), but I loved them for a while. Now I've turned to more contemporary and paranormal romances of Katie MacAlister, Cherry Adair, and Lora Leigh.

Tessa Dare's The Goddess of the Hunt intrigues me, and I might have to make a little foray back into the world of historical romances again.

No comments: