Sunday, June 28, 2009

Making Life Easier

My mom has a quote on her fridge that goes something like this: Anyone can make something complicated; it takes a genius to make something simple. I can't remember who the quote is by right now, but I saw something at Magical Words today that made me think of it.

The folks over there have created a free (yes, free) character software program they're calling Character Keeper to help budding new authors (or authors of any level) keep track of everything that makes up their characters, in an organized fashion. Check it out. It's an amazing program.

Granted, this program isn't for everyone. It's a very left-brained, organized approach to the whole creative process, but that works for a lot of us. I know some authors have never felt the need to do character write-ups of their imaginary people. I'm not one of them. I have Word docs dedicated to the main players in every novel I've written and a few for characters that I've never used. If I'd known of this program's existence when I first started writing, I probably would be using it now. Maybe it'll help you.

No comments: