Friday, February 5, 2010

Not a Flying Dream

I was watching Modern Family today on Hulu, and one of their advertisements was that you can watch all the Superbowl commercials on Hulu after the game. That's right, you can sit down at your computer and spend an hour or so watching those snippets that you usually fast-forward through or skip or leave the room and grab a snack during. You can waste your time staring at advertising gimmicks.

Is this sounding crazy to anyone else?

I sneer at Hulu having once been one of the people who watched the Superbowl for the commercials. Only it took a few years for me to realize that there aren't that many commercials during the Superbowl that are entertaining. Companies are shelling out huge amounts of money to place their product in front of a large audience, but a lot of them aren't putting in the effort for a new, funny or touching commercial, not like I remember when I was a kid. Not for the last ten years, at minimum.

I think great commercials are the marketing equivalent of a flying dream. If you've had a dream in which you get to fly, you know how incredible it is, how free you feel, how limitless the world around you seems. It's a magical feeling. They're also, for the majority of people, incredibly rare, memorable, and much sought after for years after the original dream. Which is why it took me years of watching boring football games with worse commercials before the hope of something entertaining popping up between breaks in the game died.

Would I go to Hulu after the game if they guaranteed me a flying dream that night? Hell yes! Will I go to watch lame commercials in the hopes that one will make me laugh? I think not.

No comments: