Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Shrinking of a Universe

I've finished the rewrites and entering all the edits for Madison, and now it's nose-to-the-grindstone, get-published mode. Which is exciting on one level (especially when I think about future success and moving on to the next book), but in the daily reality, it's a lot of hard work. It's also far more time-consuming than I ever imagined.

For example, Thursday I looked for agents for two hours. In two hours, I found 8 agents that are good possibilities and 5 agents that are second, third, and fourth picks. That's really not too bad, even if I haven't sent anything off to these agents yet (that's two hours from another day). The bad was how reading through all their specifications awoke all my doubts and fears and took another two hours to shake off.

Today, I worked on creating an exciting synopsis. Two hours meant I wrote a whopping two paragraphs, double-spaced to equal about a page. Two paragraphs! And I'm not sure if I like the second one. It's amazingly hard to compress a book down to a two- or three-page summary. As Cody said, it's like my book was the big bang, and now the universe is collapsing on itself back to something infinitely small. A lot of energy was expended on the first part, and a lot is being expended now.

All that universal contraction has left my fingers cold and my stomach hungry. Those, at least, are quick, easy fixes.

1 comment:

TikiBird said...

This is exactly what I was talking about--how researching agents can leave you feeling less than the level of enthusiasm you would be hoping for. You can shake it off--and then push that little bird of a query letter out of its nest! It's ready to fly! (You can see why I don't use any metaphors in non-blog-related writing.) :)