Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fixing the Frustration

It's December first. I'm a NaNo WriMo winner. The word count is complete but the book isn't. There's at least another month of writing ahead of me. My usual response would be buckle down and write. Yet, I've had this growing frustration in the back of my mind. NaNo took a huge chunk of energy, and that meant that when I got to the end of the day, I didn't have anything left to give Madison.

I beat myself up about this for a while. Forgave myself. And began the cycle again when I realized I was being silly. So I made a decision that's good for my mental health and good for my writing career: I will be setting aside Sasha until I finish Madison.

The moment I made the decision, I felt much better! I spent the two hours this morning that I built into my schedule for NaNo working on typing up the edits for Madison. Another couple of days of this, and I'll be doing the final read on the book and spending my mornings working on query letters and researching agents. What a relief!

No comments: