Monday, November 2, 2009

New Book, New Name

I have finally settled on something to call this new novel. It's most definitely not the title, but since I still needed something easier to say than "my current NaNo WriMo novel," a nickname will have to suffice. Thus, I shall call it Sasha.

Why Sasha, you ask, since the main character's name is Eva? Well, I've secretly been calling the novel Sasha for a while now, since I first conceived the story idea almost half a year ago. Sasha is a secondary character around which the entire plot revolves. Yep, you read that right. Although the main character, Eva, is who the story is really about, her story wouldn't be possible without Sasha. I thought of Sasha long before I thought of Eva and her electricity-killing curse. I thought of Sasha long before I considered she'd be in danger for most of the novel. She was the impetus of the whole book. She's also not human.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to give away of this novel at this time, though, so that's a sad little teaser for a project at least a year from being read. But I'm happy to share the novel's nickname, finally, and be able to have something to call it while I slave away at my word-count goals.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I think the titles one of the hardest things about a novel. It's the first thing anyone's going to see and it's supposed to convey so much..scary!

Kittie Howard said...

Some of the best books I ever read had titles that initially turned me away. I agree, a title is scary stuff to work out.

Rebecca Chastain said...

Titles are HARD for me! Which is why everything I write gets nicknamed until the very end when I have to put something on the query letter. Fortunately friends and family ususally have fun helping me out. Otherwise everything would be titled something long and rambly, like "How I Saved the World, Lost Nearly Everything I Owned, but Found Love" or somesuch horror.