|Eva Parker and the Elephant of Doom (Source)|
There is, however, a finite number of days and hours my muse will be hampered by sickness. On the second day, when I was too exhausted from sitting to remain upright, unable to regulate my body temperature long enough to fall asleep, and NyQuil was failing to meet all its promises, I grabbed a notebook and pen and wrote down all the titles for Eva I could think of.
As you may guess, drugs, a fever, and muggy thinking don't produce the best of titles. Even on my good days, titles are hard. Sadly, here are the top five:
- Love in the Time of Elephants (blatant ripoff)
- Handcuffs and Tiny Elephants (sad ripoff of Arsenic and Old Lace)
- Electrical Malfunction (because that tells you everything you'd want to know, and it's enticing, right?)
- Feng Shui for the Elephant in the Room (it's not a title that tags the book as a screwball paranormal adventure when you hear it, but I still kind of like it)
- Apparitions Gone Wild (because what female author doesn't want her fans to associate her book with all the other classy "Gone Wild" products out there?)
- Bonus: Eva Parker and the Elephant of Doom (ripoff, but it cracks me up)
I was in a darker place than I realized, being harder on myself than I should have been. The book's good. Not New York Times Bestseller good, which I think was the problem. It's got potential to be a mid-list title, which has never been my ambition. But I'd cornered myself into thinking it was launch with something brilliant (read: perfect) or nothing at all.
That's a horrible strategy. So I've been polishing the book and prepping it for Harper Voyager's open submission in October for novels for their eBook line. I think that will be the perfect home for Conventional Demon. I hope they agree.
I've also learned something new about myself today (other than not to trust that dark voice of doom): Along with the words simply and just, which top my Words Used Too Much list, I need to add definitely. It's simply out of control. How did I just not notice before?