Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let Me Eat Cake!

I've recently attempted to cut sugar out of my diet, specifically processed sugar (not fruit or anything crazy like that). For the most part, my experiment was going well. I didn't have cravings. I had everything under control. I didn't even whine when Cody continued to eat desserts. Better yet, I didn't even feel the urge to whine. Even I was surprised by that.

Then season two of Cake Boss came out on Netflix.

Cake Boss is one of those shows that Cody and I can watch back-to-back and not get tired of. The general conflicts of each episode are entertaining without being over-the-top annoying/painful to watch like many reality TV shows (but seriously, blond Mary, do you have to be so difficult all the time?). I love the character studies of Buddy's clients—those one-minute slices of personality that tell you so much about the people who come into the shop to buy cakes. They're great inspiration for the muse.

But better than the interpersonal drama or the insights into New Jerseyians and New Yorkers are the cakes! Not only do they look so delicious, but watching their creation, seeing the culinary magic and the amazing artistry is captivating. I think it appeals to the same part in me that can watch endless episodes of The Dog Whisperer despite the fact that I don't own a dog, nor do I plan on getting one. I just like to see the tangible magic of people who have a talent and are using it to its fullest potential.

The trouble with watching masters of their craft is how easy they make it seem. I almost believe I could create similar cakes right here in my humble home, minus all the equipment, the artistic eye, the culinary training, and the fondant. Just me and my Betty Crocker cake mix and some pre-made frosting. Okay, maybe I'd make the frosting, because I'd need something dairy-free.

I've spent a lot of time fantasizing about cakes lately. About sugar and frosting and ganache. It's not helping me cut sugar out of my diet. Although, come to think of it, I haven't noticed any improvement in my general well-being without sugar, so maybe it's not necessary. (Or is that the siren of sugar talking, not me?)

Lucky for me, Buddy's written a book! Now, the real question is: If I got the book, would I do more than drool on the pages?

No comments: