Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Back to Editing: At Last

Today I worked on Madison for the first time in three weeks, and I was reminded of something: I feel better (about my day, about myself) when I write. It's essential to who I am, it's part of my DNA, it's part of that core inside me that is either happy in the moment or not. It's sad that I've been away from the book long enough for me to have to "remember" this truism all over again, but I'm not complaining—I wrote today.

I have a goal to finish the Madison edits before NaNo WriMo. It was a goal that got pushed aside for more important things. I don't know if I can do it now. If you'd asked me this morning, after I got up early and worked on Madison for an hour and half before starting my job, I would have said it was doable.

Then I got to thinking. I'm doing a hardcopy edit, meaning I'm making all the marks on the paper and writing the needed transitions by hand. I'm about one-third of the way through the edits. Then I need to enter them, do another polish by hand followed by computer entry again, and finalize my query. That's a lot to pack into the four remaining days of the month.

If I don't finish it by November, I'll have to work out some new plan of attack that includes continuing the edits and writing the new novel. Hey, I'll be just like a lot of other early-in-their-career (before they've made the New York Times best seller list) published authors!

No comments: