|I got to pet a baby goat recently. Made my day.|
Which is why I know that in July, I read 9 books! That's on top of a very busy personal month and a very busy work month. How did this happen? Easily: Good books.
I have several authors I stalk. I follow them on Facebook, I read their blogs, I even follow their links. And of those authors, I found a book out by almost all of them in July. In no particular order, the authors were:
- Gail Carriger, Timeless
- Jacqueline Carey, In the Matter of Fallen Angels
- Sharon Shinn, Jenna Starborn
- Laurell K. Hamilton, Hit List
- Ilona Andrews, Magic Slays
Nine books in a month is not a record for me. In 2010 and 2011, I read 10 books in both Augusts. What this tells me is two things:
- A lot of my favorite authors have books that release in paperback around July/August.
- I do more reading around birthdays. (From August to early September, I celebrate 4 family birthdays and 3 friend birthdays.) [Side note: I just realized I picked a very challenging time to cut out sugar. I might have to change my goal to cutting way, way down.]
(Incidentally, I am now caught up with my year-to-date reading totals from last year. I'm on target—if I cared about such things—to match last year's reading record of 81 books in a year.)