Thursday, May 10, 2012

Status Update, Eva: Almost Done

It's been three and a half months since I started my current novel, creatively nicknamed Eva after the main character.

Yesterday, I said hello to page 400. Today, I waved good-bye to it and continued on.

I'm on page 22 of my 23-page outline. I have the final battle scene and the epilogue left. That's it! Of course, those two scenes could take another 50 to 60 pages. Less, if I can keep things tight and concise.


Tight and concise is always the goal. I want this book to be around 300 to 330 pages long, so I already know there'll be trimming in the editing process. However, I'm very happy with this novel. It stayed on the rails, unlike the last novel (always a plus). There's a full story here, too. Also, I think I've done a good job maintaining believable character motivations so that the emotional arc is as satisfying as the physical one.

I'm so close to the end, and I'm so excited to be here! I won't estimate when I'll be done (I'm always wrong), but I can see the end in sight.

Then I can set this book aside and go back to my novella. It needs some edits, and those would make a lovely breather between the writing and editing phase.

No comments: